What is the Leaders in Training program for 8th graders?
Leaders in Training is designed to integrate the 8th graders into leadership positions at Camp while still providing opportunities for them to participate in Camp activities.
What does a typical day look like for a Leader in Training?
- 7:45-8:45: Free time and drop off
- 8:45-9:15: 8th graders will be with the high school volunteers and a counselor for morning devotions. This will be a chance to dive further in depth into the Word of God.
- 9:15-9:30: 8th graders will be given guidance and assigned their role for the day.
- 9:30-12: Each 8th grader will be assigned to help one of our Counselors with the weekly sport, theme, or activity of the day. If they are helping with the sport for example, they will be assisting the Counselor as they run sport for the various age groups. They may be asked to demonstrate a skill, coach a team, encourage particular campers, keep score, set up and take down activities, etc. If they are with the Counselor doing arts and crafts, they may be asked to prepare materials, demonstrate how to make the craft, and assist campers needing some extra help.
- 10:15-10:30: 8th graders will have snack together with their Counselor as an opportunity to talk about how the morning is going and get guidance for how to best be a leader the rest of the morning.
- 12-4: 8th graders will join the camp activities as campers, but will be expected to lead by example. They may be called upon to take on some assisting roles in activities, if needed.
- 4-4:30: 8th graders will use this time to plan an activity to lead at camp. This may be a theme activity like planning carnival games for the campers on a Friday, or maybe a morning activity like arts and crafts or sports. They will plan and run the activity with the help of a Counselor. This will not be a nerve-racking experience as there will be a Counselor and fellow Leaders in Training to balance the responsibilities, so each 8th grader involved has a chance to grow in their God-given talents.
- 4:30-4:40: Each 8th grader will be given one small chore at camp to accomplish each day. This may be something like straightening supplies or emptying a trash can.
- 4:40-5:30: 8th graders will join the camp activities as campers, but will be expected to lead by example
What is the purpose of the Leaders in Training program?
The Leaders in Training program was created to allow 8th graders an opportunity to participate in the fun of camp on a daily basis, while also being able to take on some responsibility and learn how to be a leader for a portion of the day. This program will prepare campers who aspire to be volunteer Junior Counselors.
Is my son/daughter a good fit for this program?
Campers who would like to participate in the Leaders in Training program should be campers who show interest and aptitude in the following areas:
- Building positive relationships with younger campers
- Serving others and the community around them
- Collaborating with peers in project-based settings
- Positive role-model behavior